Global Shift - Sound Module responding / Synth not responding Topic is solved

Need help with iMIDIPatchbay? Ask here!
JasonK

Global Shift - Sound Module responding / Synth not responding

Post by JasonK »

Good afternoon, I downloaded IMPB last week and am extremely impressed by the capabilities! I have a very small setup using: iPad, Keyboard Controller, Key/Synth, and Sound module. I am not using an interface, but have managed to get most of the functionality to work in a Thru configuration with two Masters.

iPad -> USB -> Keyboard Controller -> Merged Data MIDI Out -> MIDI In Key/Syth -> Key/Synth MIDI Thru -> MIDI In Sound Module

When I use the Global Shift, it changes the Sound Module correctly, but it does not change the Key/Synth.

The Key/Synth MIDI Implementation Chart indicates that it recognizes all Control Changes.

Is there a setting I am overlooking, or am I pushing the limits on a Thru configuration?

Thanks for your time and for developing a great App,
Jason
Johannes
Site Admin

Re: Global Shift - Sound Module responding / Synth not respondingAccepted answer

Post by Johannes »

Hi,
The global shift feature of iMIDIPatchbay is not configuring your MIDI devices using CC. Instead, the MIDI notes are being transposed by the app.

What this means: If the shift feature is not working, this is an indicator that the notes are going from your keyboard to your synth directly, and not via iMIDIPatchbay. In order to transpose the internal sound of a keyboard, you have to set "local control" to off, so that it does not trigger its sound directly when playing the keys. The MIDI has to go to iMIDIPatchbay, and then sent back to the keyboard where the MIDI will trigger the sound. For that to work, both input and output have to be connected to the iPad.

I hope that helps.

Best,
Johannes
JasonK

Re: Global Shift - Sound Module responding / Synth not responding

Post by JasonK »

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for responding to my question so quickly and for providing that explanation.

Now I understand the benefit, even in a small setup, of having the MIDI interface as you recommend.

Thank you,
Jason
Johannes
Site Admin

Re: Global Shift - Sound Module responding / Synth not responding

Post by Johannes »

Great that I could help. I'll make this thread as resolved.

Best,
Johannes