Setting up midi patch bay with my keyboards Topic is solved

Need help with iMIDIPatchbay? Ask here!
Djpappa

Setting up midi patch bay with my keyboards

Post by Djpappa »

I am using a newer Roland Juno DS as the master keyboard and an old Roland D70 as the “Extern” device, but am running into a few problems. First, the Extern device plays all the time from the master device, even when it isn’t enabled on the iMidi patchbay. I’ve tried many changes, but can’t disable it while I’m playing the master keyboard. Second, I would like the iMidi Patchbay to send program change messages to both keyboards for the songs in my set list, but I do not want the master Juno DS to control the sounds to the D70 on all songs (some I want to play independently from the D70). I’m sure these are both basic set up problems, but I would really appreciate some help and direction.
Johannes
Site Admin

Re: Setting up midi patch bay with my keyboards

Post by Johannes »

Hi!
Djpappa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:53 pm First, the Extern device plays all the time from the master device, even when it isn’t enabled on the iMidi patchbay.
What is the MIDI interface you are using? If this happens, then you D70 seems to receive the MIDI data from the Juno DS directly. You could even terminate iMIDIPatchbay and still hear the sound. So, it is a precondition that no other routings are active in your setup, because iMIDIPatchbay cannot interrupt any existing routings, it can only create new ones. Terminate iMIDIPathcbay and try to find out, how the MIDI data is coming from the Juno DS to the D70, and prevent it.

In case you are using an iConnectMIDI interface: These interfaces have internal routing capabilities, which send incoming MIDI to all outputs by default. You have to use the config app to turn those routings off.
Djpappa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:53 pm Second, I would like the iMidi Patchbay to send program change messages to both keyboards for the songs in my set list, but I do not want the master Juno DS to control the sounds to the D70 on all songs (some I want to play independently from the D70). I’m sure these are both basic set up problems, but I would really appreciate some help and direction.
This is possible. What you have to do is to enable the extern section, but disable all ranges. After switching the extern on by tapping the "On" button, tap and hold the button again and press any key on the keyboard twice. The first key press will enable the key range for the section, the second press will disable it again. All three range indicators should be off then.

Playing on the keyboard will produce no notes on the D70, but you can still send program changes to it.

Let me know if that works.

Best,
Johannes
Djpappa

Post by Djpappa »

Thanks Johannes. Yes, I am using the iconnect interface and will follow both of your suggestions below.
Johannes
Site Admin

Post by Johannes »

Great, I'd appreciate if you came back and ask further questions, or mark this thread as solved if everything works.
Johannes
Site Admin

Post by Johannes »

I've marked this topic as resolved, but feel free to answer if you still have problems.
Djpappa

Post by Djpappa »

I’m still not able to get this working. I’ve read through the iConnectMIDI2 manual and tried your suggestion below. You’re right, the Juno is transmitting to itself and the D70 independent of the imidipatchbay, but when I disable the routing from the DIN1 in the Port Routing section, nothing is received or sent when I enable in the imidipatchbay. I am using the program change and pdf functions of the imidipatchbay (which were two of the important features I wanted) but still can’t use all the midi configuration features. What else can I try to enable the routing through the midipatchbay without it happening independent of the midipathcbay?
Johannes
Site Admin

Post by Johannes »

You should not disable all routings from the DIN port; the routing from it to the iPad has to stay active, otherwise, iMIDIPatchbay would not receive any MIDI data.

Best,
Johannes
Djpappa

Post by Djpappa »

That makes sense Johannes, but then I’m still missing something. Your prior suggestion was to use the configure app to disable the internal routing of the iconnect, which then stops all routing as you point out in the most recent post. What am I missing? By the way, the app is working great for my program changes and organizing my set lists and PDF charts. If I can figure out this functionality, it will solve everything I was hoping to be able to do with it.
Johannes
Site Admin

Post by Johannes »

The iConnect interfaces offer more sophisticated control over routings than just on or off. In the editor, you can specify why data should be routed where. In other words: For each input, you can select the destination outputs. What you have to do for each input is to disable all outputs, except the output that the iPad is connected to. That way, all incoming data will be routed to the iPad (and hereby to iMIDIPatchbay), but nowhere else.

Best,
Johannes
Djpappa

Post by Djpappa »

Ok Johannes. I’ll give it another try following this direction. Thanks for the help.