Program change on external without playing it from the Master

Need help with iMIDIPatchbay? Ask here!
Tnoh

Program change on external without playing it from the Master

Post by Tnoh » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi Johannes,

I'm yesterday replied the message underneath to a post of DJpappa about connecing multiple keyboards but I'm not shure I did it the right way, so here is a separate post about it:

We have had some mail contact earlier last year about the possible MSB/LSB/program learn function.
Maybe you’re (stil) working at it but I now have another (user) question which seems to be a bit like the the topic of DJpappa I’m posting this article to.

When I play with my band I’m normally using a Roland RD 300 stagepiano in combination with IMIDIPatchbay. I created a playlist with songs where sometimes I use the whole keyboard with 1 master channel, but in other songs I’m using 3 zones (1 master and 2 external) on it with 3 different sounds from the RD 300.
Because not all sounds on the RD 300 fit my needs and the playing zone is in some cases rather small with 3 zones, I want to use my Yamaha MX 61 as second keyboard to play i.e. solo’s.

So, I want to create songs where maybe 3 zones/sounds are configured and played on the RD and 1 or 2 zones/sounds on the MX.

Although I believe IMIDIPatchbay is just designed to realise this kind of combinations, I’m already struggeling long time with it without result.

The problem I experience is that I can’t find a way to configure IMIDIPatchbay or my equipment so midi channels 1, 2, 3 etc. of the RD 300 are separated from the midi channels 1, 2, 3 etc. of the MX. So, every note played on the RD will also generate a sound on the same midi channel on the MX. Besides it’s even not the sound I want to hear from the MX. like Djpappa I only want the program chance to be send to the MX, not note information.

I tried different combinations of midi interfaces (just an USB print cable from IPad to RD and from RD midi out to MX midi in, line 6 with midi in/out, Neusonik with 1 midi in and 2 midi out and a midi merger from the two midi outs of the keyboards to the midi in) but with none of this i could separate the midi channels.

When I read about midi there are articles that talk about device numbers and/or setting basic midi channels, wich I assume can be a solution, but I still can’t find the solution. On YouTube, in your introduction video, you are talking about a separate video about configuring the/more master keyboards and maybe in that video you are talking about this configuration but I can’t find that video.

Please, can you inform me if my expectations about the wanted situation are right and if so, how I can realise it? Do I (simply) need another midi interface, like the Iconnect you were talking about, or can it be a configuration issue in the app/hardware?

Hope you can help.

Best regards,

Tnoh

Helganoxiva

-

Post by Helganoxiva » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:38 am

dislike is supposed to be like a "like" button for a post that's negative. kind of like the angry icon on FB.

but it's confusing because it kind of seems like you're downvoting the post. but that's actually done with the "lame" vote.

I think I'm going to change it to an angry icon because that's clearer.