MF Splitter - combining pipelines

Want more stuff in Midiflow for Audiobus? Let us know!
hjstern

MF Splitter - combining pipelines

Post by hjstern »

I wonder if you would consider adding the option of allowing us to manually combine pipelines in MF Splitter. I have created a few Midiflow presets in original Midiflow which have two or more routings which take data from the same controller and send it to two or more different virtual MIDI ports created in Midiflow which contains different controller remapping that I then send to various apps in Audiobus 3. This of course creates two different MIDI ports which are in reality from the same controller so I would still like to be able to treat it as one controller within MF Splitter. Of course Splitter sees those ports as 2 separate MIDI controllers as they are two separate virtual MIDI Ports. For this reason I wonder if there were a way to allow us to manually combine pipelines within MF Splitter.

Thanks
Last edited by hjstern on Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johannes
Site Admin

Re: MF Splitter - combining pipelines

Post by Johannes »

hjstern wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:34 pm This of creates two different MIDI ports which are in reality from the same controller so I would still like to be able to treat it as one controller within MF Splitter.
Why are you using multiple routings in Midiflow? And even if you need two of them, why don't you just route them to the same virtual output port in Midiflow?

Best,
Johannes
hjstern

Post by hjstern »

Hi Johannes.

I use different routes as I use controller conditions to turn them on and off as needed...I love that option! This is an awesome feature!

The reason I don't send to the same virtual MIDI port though is that sometimes out of necessity I send on the same midi channel so it helps me to keep these routes completely separate.

Also, would it be possible to add labels to the MF Splitter pipelines as it is hard to see at a glance what each Output is inside of MF Splitter. Alternatively could you please add the virtual midi port name to it so we can see what port we are sending to within MF Splitter. It seems all the virtual midi ports appear to have the same picture to represent the ports so it is impossible to see which pipeline is sending to which virtual MIDI port when looking at the pipelines in MF Splitter. The same happens when I use MF Adapter as my Output as all MF Adapter ports look the same when viewing the pipelines.

Thanks

Howard
Johannes
Site Admin

Post by Johannes »

Hi,
I hope I understand correctly what you mean. If I do, then this is already possible. What you have to do use one pipeline in Audiobus that has both of Midiflow's input ports.

IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0168.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 7447 times

Then, you will have only one pipeline in MF Splitter as well...

IMG_0166.PNG
IMG_0166.PNG (95.48 KiB) Viewed 7447 times

...but you can still work with independent ports in Midiflow.

IMG_0167.PNG
IMG_0167.PNG (128.98 KiB) Viewed 7447 times

Does that work for you?

Best,
Johannes
hjstern

Post by hjstern »

The missing piece there is that I would want them going to two separate apps in Audiobus 3. If I use the setup you posted it merges them together but I can't then create splits or layers between these two routes.
Johannes
Site Admin

Post by Johannes »

Ok, and if you create two routings like that in Audiobus, with different destinations?
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg (73.28 KiB) Viewed 7444 times
IMG_0173.PNG
IMG_0173.PNG (142.09 KiB) Viewed 7444 times

One question: Are you running the Audiobus version from the App Store, or are you in the TestFlight program? When testing this, I found out that the TestFlight version of Audiobus seems to have changed something to MIDI ports so that MF Splitter's grouping does not work anymore. I'm going to contact the developer about this in order to find a solution. However, the steps above should work with the App Store version.
hjstern

Post by hjstern »

To answer your question, Johannes, I am using the Testflight version but I went back and tested this issue with the App Store one as well before submitting my question.

Regarding those two routes that you created with different destinations, the problem as I see it is that all data is sent from both virtual MIDI ports to both apps but I want to keep everything separate to ensure that the correct CC info go to the correct app. If I put both as inputs as you suggest then all information from each of the ports will go to both apps. In addition, I hoped to be able to have different velocity curves given how my apps respond to that info which is part of why I have created these two virtual MIDI ports.
Johannes
Site Admin

Post by Johannes »

Ok, I think, the best solution would then be to treat notes and controllers separately. You would use one routing in Midiflow to eliminate everything but notes, and use that port for the Splitter. Then, you would have other routings that only do the controller remappings. These would then be used in separate pipelines in Audiobus, that don't have the Splitter as MIDI effect.

I have a feeling that combining pipelines that don't come from the same source might lead to confusion. However, it would be possible, and I actually do this already when you use MF Keyboard with the Splitter. But this happens under the hood without the user thinking about it.
hjstern

Post by hjstern »

Ok, I understand. I actually got the idea of manually combining pipelines from watching your video on MF Splitter and seeing how you can set something in MF Keyboard to allow MF Splitter to combine the pipelines. I hoped there could be a way to manually do that in MF Splitter which might be the way to deal with my request though perhaps it makes things too complicated or is not doable.